I didn’t realized before that I was throwing away as much as 35% juice extract when using centrifugal juicers like the Breville 800JEXL juicer…
This unbiased review of the Kuvings Whole Slow Juicer will help give perspective to what I mean
Let’s say that I’m spending about $100 per month of fresh fruits and vegetables when creating my “green juice”.
That would equate to about $1,200 per year spent on buying fresh produce.
And 35% of $1,200 is equal to $420. 35% of which is just being wasted because my centrifugal juicer can't extract it more.
For me, that $420 is a huge amount of money that are being thrown away…
How can we get more juice and extract from the same amount of fruits and vegetables?
We can try re-juicing the pulp, but most of the time this is not enough to yield more extract.
It can probably add a few milliliters or a few drops of extracted juice.
But because of the way centrifugal juicers works, they are very limited on how much they can “squeeze” out of your fruits and vegetables.
I've found out that a better solution is to use a masticating juicer which can extract more “juice” than centrifugal juicers.
Masticating juicers have a slower, crushing and squeezing action which makes their use ideal at homes because it’s almost silent.
While centrifugal juicers on the other hand are very noisy due to their hi-speed function when in use.
The low noise is one of the reasons I love masticating juicers. I also love the fact that they can "squeeze" more extract from fruits and vegetables, particularly the soft, & green leafy vegetables like kale and spinach.
You can't even use spinach in a centrifugal juicer because it won't be able to extract any juice from it because it's too thin and soft.
Wheatgrass is another superfood that can be easily extracted with a masticating juicer like the Kuvings Whole Food Slow Juicer.
Kuvings Whole Slow Juicer B6000S - Higher Nutrients and Vitamins, BPA-Free Components, Easy to Clean, Ultra Efficient 240W, 60RPMs, Includes Blank Strainer-Silver
- Whole Slow Juicer: Kuvings patented, 60RPMs low-speed masticating technology will extract the maximum vitamins, minerals and enzymes. It crushes the food, then presses it to produce the highest yield-without aerating it.
- Time Saver: The 3" extra wide feed chute allows for larger ingredients without cutting, means less prep time. Drip-free juice spout helps create mixed juices and rinse between recipes. Funnel allows for smaller produce in juicer without spilling.
- Powerful and Efficient: The 240W motor is powerful, durable and works quietly. The larger pulp outlet duct reduces pulp in the extract and makes more juice. Sieve allows you to determine the amount of pulp in your juice. What's more, clean-up is a breeze!
- Versatile: A 3 in 1 Multi Juicer - Prepare juices, smoothies, baby food and nut milk. Juices everything from fruits and vegetables, herbs. Easier to enjoy fresh juice that your body absorbs about 4 times more nutrition than by eating whole fruits.
- Trusted Brand: For 40 years, Kuvings has been committed to quality you can trust. Each item includes our 10-year warranty. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to let us know. Our customer service team is always happy to help.
Why did I get this slow juicer?
There's probably hundreds if not thousands of juicers today. And the challenge is to find something that would fit your lifestyle, budget and personal preference.
But what made me invest in this masticating juicer?
I'd like to answer that there are three things that helped me decide on getting the Kuvings Whole Slow Juicer as my first masticating juicer...
1. Extracts More Juice - I did a side by side comparison between the amount of juice extracted with a centrifugal juicer and the kuvings whole slow juicer and there's definitely more juice from the same amount of produce (I used 2 apples in my test).
Here's a video demonstration showing the big difference (between a hi-speed juicer vs the kuvings whole slow juicer and between the two models of kuvings juicers: whole slow juicer and the kuvings silent juicer).
And the results were consistent: the kuvings whole slow juicer yields more juice, and from my taste test, it tastes a lot better too!
2. Quiet performance - We have a toddler and baby in the house, so it's important for me that I'm not waking them up especially in the morning when I'm creating my "green mean drinks".
The problem with centrifugal juicers, the Nutribullet, the Nutri Ninja and any high speed blender is that it sounds like a helicopter is in your kitchen (ok that's a bit exaggerated).
So if you want peace and quiet, then go with a masticating juicer, also known as a cold press juicer.
3. Elegant design - One of the biggest differences between previous and past masticating juicers is the Kuvings upright design.
The juicer uses gravity to "pull" down ingredients to be "masticated" slowly. The design is also a space saver since it's upright instead of the old types of masticating juicers which is wide and occupies a lot of kitchen space. When I asked my wife (who's an architect), she definitely loved the space-saving and minimalistic design of this upright juicer.
My experience with the Kuvings Whole Food Slow Juicer? It was a really good one...
The holiday season has been fast approaching and I was fortunate to buy it on Amazon for a great deal. Along with my Amazon prime membership, I was able to get my kuvings whole slow juicer within a few days.
My son was very excited when he saw a "big box" that was delivered into our home.
Of course it was "big" for him, but actually it was just a standard-sized box for a juicer.
Probably the size of a medium tower computer casing.
When I opened the box, I found out that there was another box inside it which contains the juicer and it's accessories.
There were 3 boxes all in all. It contains the body of the juicer, recipe book, manual, warranty information (more on the 10-year warranty later on), sets of instructions and the parts that comprises the whole slow juicer.
I took a quick inventory if all items are present (I highly recommend that for every purchase, always check if there are any parts/manuals/books missing so that you can promptly return it or request for the missing part).
- The Kuvings Whole slow juicer base (electrical component which is for 120V only - if you live in UK, Australia, New Zealand, you'll most likely have 220V electrical sockets. You can't use 120V in 220V sockets, so you need to have some sort of step-down transformer in order not to fry your machine when you plug it)
- The Top set includes the following. This set is quick to assemble and disassemble making it as easy as 1,2,3,4.
- The Pusher
- The Lid
- The Juicing Screw - which is really where the "squeezing" and all the action takes place.
- The Strainer
- Rotation Wiper
- and the Juicing Bowl
- There's an extra blank strainer (which you an use to create "ice cream" and frozen treats (Yum!)
- Cleaning materials (brush and
- Of course the manual, quick use card, and warranty information.
- And a beautiful recipe book that contains about 40+ recipes
How to assemble the Kuvings slow juicer?
Since it was the first time for me to use my juicer, I made sure that the top set, strainer, lid, screw, rotation wiper and juicing bowl were washed thoroughly with soap and water. After drying and cleaning these parts, it was now time for me to assemble them.
I grabbed the manual and quickly read through the instructions. It was not difficult to understand as there were pictures that detailed what each step entails. I just followed each step according to the picture. There are also red markers that guided me on where to align my top set. These red markers are similar to what are found in digital camera lenses when you are attaching a new lens in a digital single lens reflex (D-SLR) camera.
When I got my juicer, the silicone parts (helps prevent leaks) are already attached to the right places as well as the smart cap. If they are not yet attached, just follow the instructions on how and where to attach them.
After assembling the top set (consists of 4 major parts), I then attached it to the power base (make sure that the power base is NOT YET plugged in). Not carefully following the instructions could result in harm, so please be careful. Also make sure that the kids are NOT within reach of any of the electrical sockets, parts and components to prevent any accidents.
I then positioned the waste bin in the outlet spout and my glass on the spout with the smart cap.
I prepared my ingredients and plugged the juicer (be careful NOT to plug any electrical socket if your hands are wet).
There are 2 sets of operation with the power button. One is the Forward button (top) and the other is the Reverse button (below). The forward button is for normal use, that is if you want to extract your juice. And the reverse button is used if there's something jammed in the Juicing screw.
Here's a powerful tip to prevent jamming the slow juicer
Add one ingredient at a time. Don't overstuff the lid and try to push it harder with the pusher. This will just jam the juicing screw and could even damage your motor.
If you're using harder fruits and vegetables like beets, try to soak them for a few minutes (to get more water and be softer) or slice them into smaller parts so that there would be less strain on the motor and the juicing screw.
How to clean the Kuvings Slow Juicer
I initially thought that a juicer this big would be a big hassle when it comes to cleaning, I'm glad I was wrong. Since there were only 4 main parts in the top set, that's basically all that you need to disassemble and clean.
They've even included a brush and a strainer cleaner which makes it easier for me to clean each part. Just make sure that there are no small bits of fruits and vegetables lodged in each part. After washing them, I just hang dry them in my dishwasher rack.
I don't use my dishwasher in cleaning these parts because I'm sure there will still be some small bits and pieces that will not be cleaned. I don't mind manually brushing them for a cleaner juicer.
How about the taste?
Since you can't really know it without tasting it yourself, I challenge you to try it. Get this juicer and taste the difference.
It's much sweeter and you can taste the apple more, the orange more, the veggies more (and that's not really bad if you try some of the recipes that I've recommended).
How about smoothies? Can you make them in this slow juicer? Yes!
Yes! Since this is a cold-pressed juicer which slowly masticates the fruits and vegetables.
Just change the strainer to the included blank strainer and you can immediately use it as a frozen treat maker.
This is one of my favorite all-natural treat that's full of anti-oxidants!
- 1 cup of frozen blueberries
- 1 whole banana
- 1 whole orange
- Use the blank strainer instead of the regular strainer
- Add all ingredients to your Kuvings Whole Slow Juicer
- Press the forward button
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
Was there anything that I didn't like about the Kuvings Slow Juicer?
I would say that at first I was really hesitant to invest in this masticating juicer. It's a huge investment for us since it's around $400-$500, and that's a lot of money.
Fortunately, I was able to learn more about the 10 year warranty of this juicer and when you divide a $500 investment for 10 years (as long as it's use is covered in the warranty), I was probably spending around $50 per year and that's a lot less when compared to $100 juicers/blenders/machines that only have 1 year warranty.
So for me, it's a big investment upfront, but in the long run, I was actually saving more.
Where can I buy it online?
I've looked for the best deals on the Kuvings Whole Slow Juicer and one of the best places to buy it online is through Amazon's website. They are the world's largest ecommerce site and their customer support is awesome. Check it out below.
Last update on 2019-11-17 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API