Have you ever wanted to make your own almond milk at the comfort of your own homes? In this article, I'll show you the exact steps and tools that I use to create delicious almond milks that I'm sure you'll love...
But first what are almond milk anyways?
If you have never tasted them or have never made one, don't worry because it's not as weird as it sounds. I know, when I first heard about "milk from almonds", I told myself "how can you ever make milk from almonds? milks come from cows and other animals right?"
Well, that's dairy milk.
Apparently, vegans and plant-based eaters have been using "plant-based nut milks" for hundreds of years. Ever since they've discovered that you can make a "milky and frothy" drink by blending/grinding nuts with water and then straining it with a cheesecloth or a nut milk bag, nut milk drinks have been born.
Making Milk from Nuts (and Seeds) is basically a 3 Step Process
1. Soaking - Nuts and Seeds are soaked overnight (usually 12 hours) to help it release anti-nutrients (their defense mechanism). If you soak nuts for more than a day (2-3 days) it would result into creamier milks.
2. Blending - After soaking for several hours (or days), the nuts are rinsed repeatedly in tap water.
3. Straining - After blending the soaked nuts and water for a few minutes, you'll need to separate the liquid parts from the solid parts. And the easiest way to do this is to strain it with a nut milk bag. Nut milk bags are made from food grade nylon and are reusable. You can use it to strain green juice, sprout seeds, brew cold press coffee and more.We use this nut milk bag, it's a little bit more costly than mass produced nut milk bags, but it's because it's durable and won't break easily like other nut milk bags.
After you've strained your nut milk, you can store it in the fridge for up to 2-3 days. It's common for sedimentation to appear if you store it in the fridge. Just mix it again with a spatula or spoon to create the consistency of the milk again.
Looking for more detailed instructions?
Step By Step Process On How To Make Almond Milk
1. The first and foremost step is to gather almonds that you'll use. It's best to get almonds from a local resource/farm, but if it's not possible, you need to get the raw variety. Avoid using those that are already roasted and with added salt.
2. Soak the almonds in filtered water for at least 6-12 hours. Soaking has been found to help reduce the levels of phytates in nuts, seeds and legumes. It's also recommended to soak your almonds even if you're just eating them raw. Personally, it's much more delicious and tastier too if I soak the almonds. When you soak the almonds for more than a day (2-3 days) it would result in creamier milks.
3. The next step involves an equipment or machine called a blender. I've been using my Nutri Ninja or my Nutribullet to blend my almonds. Make sure that you add enough water as well. More water would equal to a more diluted, less creamy milk. So if you want creamier milks, add water sparingly.
4. Blend the ingredients (water and almond) for at least 1-3 minutes. Check to make sure that all solid particles are being blended well. Some solid particles can get stuck in the machine so you might need to manually mix it and blend them again.
5. After blending and mixing it, you'll need to strain it with a durable, and reusable nut milk bag (this is what we use).
6. Line the nut milk bag over a pitcher or measuring cup. Open the strainer, and start pouring the mixture into the bag. It should catch the solid particles, while allowing the nut milk to be collected from the container.
7. Squeeze the nut milk bag with your two hands. This will extract more "nut milks" from the mixture. You can also use a spatula or a spoon to squeeze the almond meal from the nut milk bag. Gently press a spoon over the almond meal to extract more milk.
8. Enhance the taste of your nut milks - You can now start adding natural and organic sweeteners like honey, stevia or dates. Avoid using white refined sugar.
9. Enjoy and store the excess nut milk for later use. It's ok to see some sedimentation after storing the nut milks for several hours. Just mix it again to bring it back to it's original consistency.
I hope you enjoyed this tutorial on how to make your own almond milk at the comfort of your own homes.
Bestseller No. 1 Pro Quality Nut Milk Bag - XL12"X12" Bags - Commercial Grade Reusable All Purpose Food Strainer - Food Grade BPA-Free - Ultra Strong Fine Nylon Mesh - Nutmilk, Juices, Cold Brew - Recipes & Videos… (1)
- The #1 TOP SELLING BIG 12X12 NUT MILK BAG! Smartly Designed in Response to Customer Requests for a Bigger Better Quality Bag Than the Small Egg-Shaped Ones, With a Wider Opening and Rounded Corners to Eliminate Waste and Messy Pouring. Designed with the best FOOD GRADE commercial nylon mesh - It's the perfect shape & size with more surface area to squeeze - Own the best made bag on Amazon - Avoid problems with inferior bags - Get Professional Quality and Design - Guaranteed or your $ back.
- PREFERRED BY CHEFS & NATURAL FOOD LOVERS FOR ITS SUPER STRONG CONSTRUCTION AND PULP FREE PERFORMANCE! It's Easier to Squeeze for Faster Results & You'll NEVER Have to Filter Your Almond Milks or Cold Brew Coffee Twice. Fast Drying and Mold Free With Nylon Drawstring. Makes Small 8oz or Big 4 Quart Recipes Easily. SQUEEZE AS HARD AS YOU WANT IT'S RESTAURANT TESTED!! - ELLIE'S BEST IS THE LONGEST LASTING STRONGEST & MOST VERSATILE NUTBAG & NYLON FOOD STRAINER AVAILABLE.
- FINE ITALIAN NYLON MESH – FOOD GRADE CERTIFIED - BPA FREE- TRIPLE NYLON SEAMS - Easily Holds Up to Daily Use! IT WORKS BETTER THAN CHEESECLOTH & OUTLASTS CHEESE CLOTH - You Can Squeeze it With Both Hands Unlike the Smaller Bags - The Best Almond Milk Maker - Vitamix Blender Juicer - Cold Brew Coffee Maker - You Get Professional Quality & the Best Designed Bag of Them All - Guaranteed or Your Money Back - Start Making the Most Nutritious, Creamy & Silky Smooth, Nut Milks.
- YOUR PRO QUALITY BAG COMES WITH A VALUABLE BONUS - A FREE RECIPE E-BOOK & HOW TO VIDEOS - OUR FAVORITE RECIPES INCLUDE UNIQUE AND YUMMY CHOCOLATE, STRAWBERRY & BANANA DRINKS! Also important info to get you started making perfect Nut Milks & Coffee Drinks - So go to the web address on the package label to get your free e-book and videos. We 100% Guarantee You Will Love It! ORDER YOUR NUT MILK BAG NOW! And maybe an extra one for blender juicing or to surprise a friend!
Bestseller No. 2 Nut Milk Bags, All Natural Cheesecloth Bags, 12"x12", 2 Pack, 100% Unbleached Cotton Cloth Bags for Cheese/Tea/Yogurt/Juice/Wine/Soup/Herbs, Durable Washable Reusable Almond Milk Strainer(Weave 66x70)
- Natural Material: Made of 100% natural unbleached cotton cheese cloth, getting rid of synthetics(nylon, polyester) can make life healthier.
- Easier Handling: Cotton nut milk bag will squeeze out the liquid more quickly and easily, output smoothly nut milk without impurities.
- Perfect Weave: The weave of our cheese cloth nut milk bag is 66 x 70, much tighter than cheese cloth grade 90, but not as tight as 200 micron nut milk bag.
- We Are Better: Outward seam makes our bag MUCH easier. Our craftsman double-stitched bottom makes it EXTRA-STRONG and DURABLE.
- After-sales Guarantee: We offer full money back guarantee if you are not satisfied with this product, and we are here 24/7 to assist you.
Bestseller No. 3 2 Pack - 80 Micron Nut Milk Bag - 12X12 Inches - Multiple Usage Reusable Food Strainer, Cold Brew Coffee Bag, Food Grade Nylon Mesh, BPA-Free, Cheesecloth Bag, Yogurt Strainer, Juice Filter
- Our iAesthete nut milk bag is made of food grade nylon mesh , BPA-free, and the nylon material will not absorb the ingredients of the nut milk, so your homemade nut milk will keep its natural flavor and 100% nutrition. The mesh is 80 micron, fine enough for a silky nut milk. The build-in drawstring can help you bundle up the opening of the bag when squeezing, and you can also tie the drawstring to a hook let the bag air dry after cleaning.
- Well-designed: Firstly, the size of the bag is 12X12 inches, large enough for family use. Secondly, when you pour the nut milk mixture into the bag, the opening is big enough to avoid pouring out of the bag. Thirdly, the edge of the bag is double sewed and the stitching is very tiny and durable, so the bag can resist strong squeezing. Lastly, due to the round corner design, the mixture particle at the corner is easy to washed away when you wash the bag.
- Multiple Usages and Reusable: As a kind of food strainer, the nut milk bag can not only be used to make nut milk, but also be used to make cold brew coffee, yogurt, celery juice and other kind of juices. It is also a cold brew coffee bag, just put coarsely ground coffee into the bag, and immerse the bag into a jar or pitcher fulled with pure water, then put the jar into a refrigerator for 12-24 hours, take the bag out and wash it for next use, and enjoy your cold brew coffee.
- Easy to Wash: The bag is easy to wash, just turn the bag inside out, wash it by running water with soap, then hung it to air dry. Additionally, you can also dip the bag into boiling water to sterilizing, the bag can resist at the boiling point of water, please make sure the bag already cooled down to room temperature before use.
- This nut milk bag is eco-friendly, multiple usages and easy to clean.
Last update on 2020-09-19 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
This product was presentation was made with AAWP plugin.