Have you ever wanted to make your own almond milk at the comfort of your own homes? In this article, I'll show you the exact steps and tools that I use to create delicious almond milks that I'm sure you'll love...
But first what are almond milk anyways?
If you have never tasted them or have never made one, don't worry because it's not as weird as it sounds. I know, when I first heard about "milk from almonds", I told myself "how can you ever make milk from almonds? milks come from cows and other animals right?"
Well, that's dairy milk.
Apparently, vegans and plant-based eaters have been using "plant-based nut milks" for hundreds of years. Ever since they've discovered that you can make a "milky and frothy" drink by blending/grinding nuts with water and then straining it with a cheesecloth or a nut milk bag, nut milk drinks have been born.
Making Milk from Nuts (and Seeds) is basically a 3 Step Process
1. Soaking - Nuts and Seeds are soaked overnight (usually 12 hours) to help it release anti-nutrients (their defense mechanism). If you soak nuts for more than a day (2-3 days) it would result into creamier milks.
2. Blending - After soaking for several hours (or days), the nuts are rinsed repeatedly in tap water.
3. Straining - After blending the soaked nuts and water for a few minutes, you'll need to separate the liquid parts from the solid parts. And the easiest way to do this is to strain it with a nut milk bag. Nut milk bags are made from food grade nylon and are reusable. You can use it to strain green juice, sprout seeds, brew cold press coffee and more.We use this nut milk bag, it's a little bit more costly than mass produced nut milk bags, but it's because it's durable and won't break easily like other nut milk bags.
After you've strained your nut milk, you can store it in the fridge for up to 2-3 days. It's common for sedimentation to appear if you store it in the fridge. Just mix it again with a spatula or spoon to create the consistency of the milk again.
Looking for more detailed instructions?
Step By Step Process On How To Make Almond Milk
1. The first and foremost step is to gather almonds that you'll use. It's best to get almonds from a local resource/farm, but if it's not possible, you need to get the raw variety. Avoid using those that are already roasted and with added salt.
2. Soak the almonds in filtered water for at least 6-12 hours. Soaking has been found to help reduce the levels of phytates in nuts, seeds and legumes. It's also recommended to soak your almonds even if you're just eating them raw. Personally, it's much more delicious and tastier too if I soak the almonds. When you soak the almonds for more than a day (2-3 days) it would result in creamier milks.
3. The next step involves an equipment or machine called a blender. I've been using my Nutri Ninja or my Nutribullet to blend my almonds. Make sure that you add enough water as well. More water would equal to a more diluted, less creamy milk. So if you want creamier milks, add water sparingly.
4. Blend the ingredients (water and almond) for at least 1-3 minutes. Check to make sure that all solid particles are being blended well. Some solid particles can get stuck in the machine so you might need to manually mix it and blend them again.
5. After blending and mixing it, you'll need to strain it with a durable, and reusable nut milk bag (this is what we use).
6. Line the nut milk bag over a pitcher or measuring cup. Open the strainer, and start pouring the mixture into the bag. It should catch the solid particles, while allowing the nut milk to be collected from the container.
7. Squeeze the nut milk bag with your two hands. This will extract more "nut milks" from the mixture. You can also use a spatula or a spoon to squeeze the almond meal from the nut milk bag. Gently press a spoon over the almond meal to extract more milk.
8. Enhance the taste of your nut milks - You can now start adding natural and organic sweeteners like honey, stevia or dates. Avoid using white refined sugar.
9. Enjoy and store the excess nut milk for later use. It's ok to see some sedimentation after storing the nut milks for several hours. Just mix it again to bring it back to it's original consistency.
I hope you enjoyed this tutorial on how to make your own almond milk at the comfort of your own homes.
Sale $10.98Bestseller No. 1
Pro Quality Nut Milk Bag - XL12"X12" Bags - Commercial Grade Reusable All Purpose Food Strainer - Food Grade BPA-Free - Ultra Strong Fine Nylon Mesh - Nutmilk, Juices, Cold Brew - Recipes & Videos
- THE #1 TOP SELLING & STRONGEST MULTIPLE USE STRAINING BAG MADE! Smartly Designed From Customer Requests for a Bigger Better Quality Bag. We Made a Wider Opening and Rounded Corners to Eliminate Waste and Messy Pouring. Using the best food grade Italian nylon mesh, It's the perfect shape & size with more surface area to squeeze - Own the best made bag on Amazon - Avoid Problems with Inferior Bags - Get Professional Quality and Design - Guaranteed or your $ back.
- MOLD FREE UNLIKE COTTON CHEESECLOTH BAGS & NO NEED TO MACHINE WASH IT LIKE COTTON - THIS POPULAR RESTAURANT TESTED KITCHEN GADGET IS PREFERRED BY CHEFS FOR IT'S PERFECT MESH SIZE, SUPER STRONG CONSTRUCTION & PULP FREE PERFORMANCE! Easier to Squeeze for Faster Results - NEVER Filter Your Almond Milks or Juices Twice. Fast Drying and Mold Free With Nylon Drawstring. Makes Small 8oz or Big 4 Quart Recipes Easily. ELLIE'S BEST IS THE LONGEST LASTING STRONGEST & MOST VERSATILE NUTBAG AVAILABLE.
- LONG LASTING UNLIKE CHEAP, LOW QUALITY BAGS, ELLIE'S IS THE FAVORITE MULTI USE STRAINER AVAILABLE! FOOD GRADE CERTIFIED - BPA FREE & TRIPLE NYLON SEAMS - EASILY HOLDS UP TO DAILY USE! BETTER THAN CHEESECLOTH & OUTLASTS CHEESE CLOTH - You Can Squeeze it With Both Hands Unlike Cut Rate Bags - No Juicer? No Problem - Make Juices, Cold Brew Coffee, Greek Yogurt etc. Professional Quality & the Best Design - Start Making the Most Silky Smooth, Nut Milks, Cold Brew Coffee, Greek Yogurt & Juices!
- A FREE BEAUTIFUL RECIPE BOOK COMES WITH EACH ORDER! YOUR PRO QUALITY BAG COMES WITH A VALUABLE BONUS - A RECIPE E-BOOK IS ON THE PACKAGE LABEL! OUR FAVORITE RECIPES INCLUDE UNIQUE AND YUMMY CHOCOLATE CREATIONS, CASHEW MILKS, UNICORN MILK etc.! Plus HOW TO VIDEOS with detailed instructions to get you started making perfect Nut Milks, Coffee Drinks etc - We 100% Guarantee You Will Love It! ORDER YOUR NUT MILK BAG NOW! And maybe an extra one for blender juicing or to surprise a friend!
Bestseller No. 2
Nut Milk Bags, All Natural Cheesecloth Bags, 12"x12", 2 Pack, 100% Unbleached Cotton Cloth Bags for Cheese/Tea/Yogurt/Juice/Wine/Soup/Herbs, Durable Washable Reusable Almond Milk Strainer(Weave 65x52)
- Natural Material: Made of 100% natural unbleached cotton cheese cloth, getting rid of synthetics(nylon, polyester) can make life healthier.
- Easier Handling: Cotton nut milk bag will squeeze out the liquid more quickly and easily, output smoothly nut milk without impurities.
- Perfect Weave: The weave of our cheese cloth nut milk bag is 65x52, much tighter than cheese cloth grade 90, but not as tight as 200 micron nut milk bag.
- We Are Better: Outward seam makes our bag MUCH easier. Our craftsman double-stitched bottom makes it EXTRA-STRONG and DURABLE.
- After-sales Guarantee: We offer full money back guarantee if you are not satisfied with this product, and we are here 24/7 to assist you.
Bestseller No. 3
Bellamei Nut Milk Bag Reusable 3 Pack 200 Micron Nut Bags For Almond/Soy Milk Greek Yogurt Professional for Cold Brew Coffee Tea Beer Juice Fine Italian Nylon Mesh
- 【Perfect Design】The clever U bottom design is the perfect shape & size(8"x12"/10"x12"/13"x13") with more surface area to squeeze,no more messy residues, no more pulp stuck in corners. Double reinforced stitched edge won't rip or tear easily.Outward seam makes our bag much easier to clean and less messy than classic cheesecloth. Drawstring for easy straining.
- 【Multiple Uses】This nut milk bag makes a fantastic gift for people who love to live healthy. These nut bags are perfect used for homemade nut/almond/soy bean milk,yogurt,cheese makers,vegetable or fruit juices,cold brew coffee,beer home brewing,tea.You can choose the proper size as needed.
- 【Washable and Reusable】A quality nut milk bag is washable, reusable and will remain smell free and useful for the longest time.The corner of the bag is round, this design can help the liquid quickly pass through the bag, and the bag is easy to clean.Wash with warm soap water, rinse and let them dry.
- 【Highest Material】The nut milk bags are made from fine Italian nylon mesh,Food grade BPA-free high-quality bag help us to get perfect results and a health life!
- 【Kind Reminder】We specializes in producing this high quality and super fine nut milk bag.If you need our commercial grade super fine nut bags 2 pack(12"x12"),you can search "B07VPB5X3X".If you need our organic cotton nutmilk bags 4 pack(12"x12"/8"x10"/4"x6"),you can search "B07W189G88".Our friendly customer service will try our best to solve your problem within 24 hours.