If you’ve never heard of green smoothies before, these are drinks blended with fruits and vegetables at a ratio of about 50% fruits and 50% green vegetables.
As you become accustomed to the taste of green vegetables, you can then start adding more greens to your drinks for more power-packed drink and less sugar (natural sugar from fruits).
I’m currently at a ratio of 70% vegetables and 30% fruits.
While Juicing can’t be considered complete foods (because the fiber is removed), smoothies can provide a much more satisfying & full feeling. They are also easy to digest and are very nutritious.
Just make sure that you are using the right machine or blender to create smooth consistency of your drinks.
These are the blenders that I I have used to create my drinks (the Nutribullet, the Vitamix or the Blendtec).
My first choice would be the Vitamix and then the Nutribullet in terms of price and functionality.
Before starting a change in your diet, (you must consult with your health provider) it’s important that you have understood how to create your green drinks.
Most people add too much fruits (about 70-80%) because of the green taste, but that will make your smoothies high in sugar. And too much sugar is also not good for your body, even if it’s natural sugar.
I’ll be sharing some recipes to help you create the perfect green smoothies for you, but here are other tips to consider:
1. Dr. Ann Wigmore’s teachings indicate that consuming chlorophyll is similar to receiving a healthy blood transfusion.
It is an expression of the many health benefits one receives by simply adding more greens to their diet. 2-3 cups per day is what I’m currently doing right now.
You can definitely start with 1 cup per day and as you become more familiar with it, then you can start drinking more cups per day.
2. Since all of the ingredients (including the fiber) are being added to the drinks and consumed, nothing is left to waste. It’s more economical and smoothie equipments (like the Nutribullet and the Vitamix) are very easy to clean unlike their juicer counterparts.
3. Vegetables are perfect for all ages. My son (who is 2 years old when he started drinking smoothies) loves them. He doesn’t mind the green color as long as there’s the sweet taste of banana in there. At a ratio of 60% vegetables and 40% fruits (spinach and bananas), you can’t even know that there’s spinach in there because the green smoothies tastes great!
4. Don’t be afraid to experiment with different flavors of fruits and vegetables. Some vegetables have more bitter, “vegetable” taste, so if you’re not yet accustomed to it, start with less “green” tasting vegetables like spinach.
5. Add nuts, seeds, spices and natural sweeteners (stevia) to get more nutrients and minerals in each drink. I always add a teaspoonful of chia seeds or flax seeds in my drinks. Sometimes I also add cinnamon spice, a chili spice or ginger to my drinks to help create a different texture and taste.
The Formula for Creating the Perfect Green Smoothie Recipe
- Liquid - 1 or 1 1/2 Serving
- Vegetables - 2 Servings
- Fruits - 2-3 Servings
- Addons - A tablespoon or two
- Ice - 1 Serving (less if fruits are frozen)
- Sweeteners - Optional and add to taste
Each serving means each portion. So if you’re using cups, 1 cup for Liquids, 2 cups for vegetables, 2-3 cups for fruits etc. This formula doesn’t have to be exactly followed to the letter.
Feel free to add or subtract one or more recipes, but don’t add too much fruits because it will be a high-sugar drink. Of course, if you’re on a strict diet or nutritional meal, make sure you’ve discussed it with your health provider before changing your diet regimen.
I’ll also provide you with some details and recipes in creating your green smoothies.
Here’s what you can use as a Liquid
- Water (Alkalinized water if possible)
- Coconut water
- Iced Tea
- Green Tea
- Almond Milk
- *Avoid using animal’s milk because it will defeat the purpose of consuming more plant based foods
Here are some choices for Vegetables
- Baby Spinach - my favorite!
- Swiss Chard
- Collard Greens
- Dandelion Greens
- Romaine Lettuce
Here are some choices of Fruits
Addons to your drinks
- Chia Seeds
- Cacao powder
- Goji Berries
- Hemp Seeds
- Quality Nuts (Almonds, Walnuts, Pecans, etc)
And natural sweeteners
- Stevia (look for stevia drops)
- Coconut sugar
- Date Paste
- *Add more fruits (use sparingly)
- Vanilla Extract
And before I end this post, I'd like to share a simple, delicious and nutritious Green smoothie recipes that's perfect for beginners! My wife and son loves this drink and it helps them get their daily dose of vegetables...
The Perfect Beginner Green Smoothie Recipe
You may also check out these other recipe books:
- Rodale Press
- Jen Hansard, Jadah Sellner
- Publisher: Rodale Books
- The New York Times bestselling 10-Day Green Smoothie Cleanse will jump-start your weight loss,...
- Made up of supernutrients from leafy greens and fruits, green smoothies are filling and healthy and...
- This book provides a shopping list, recipes, and detailed instructions for the 10-day cleanse, along...
- Jenny Allan
- Kindle Edition
Last update on 2018-10-07 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API